Mom’s Veggie Pasta is filled with TONS of veggies and cheese, reminds me of my childhood. She used to make this any time my friends came over she made this. My best friend loves this pasta. She is pregnant right now and a couple of months ago she came over for lunch and asked me to make this, and it turned out SOO well.
This is a great recipe to use up any veggies you have left in the fridge.You can add spinach, bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, it will work well. Also this is great to use any leftover pastas and mix them together. I always have a little bit left in each pasta box but never enough to make one dish, it works well in this . This is a VERY forgiving dish, so use whatever you have!! I’m sharing my recipe from my childhood with you all so I hope you all like it and it becomes a part of your family 🙂
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 6 servings|
- 1 box (5 cups), cooked according to packaged directions.
- 2-3 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 cup mixed frozen veggies, thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, once it starts to splatter add the asafoetida, then add onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Saute this until all the onion is soft. (about 3 minutes)
- Add the broccoli florets and thawed frozen veggies, cook until the broccoli is a bit soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the pasta sauce, red chili powder, dried oregano, red crushed pepper, red chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the cooked pasta and cheese, mix well!
- (optional) transfer the pasta in a baking tray then layer the top with more cheese, broil it for 5-10 minutes on high, just until the cheese is nice and golden brown.
- Add the chopped cilantro on top and enjoy!
- I made this using different pasta shapes (rotini, elbow, and penne) any leftover pasta basically.
- You can use up any veggies you have in your fridge.
- Add spinach, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini.. Anything you have will taste good.
- I used Mexican blend cheese but you can use any you have on hand.
- Use your favorite jarred pasta sauce. I honestly like Ragu in here but use whatever you have on hand and need to use up
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
One thought on “Mom’s Veggie Pasta”