It is no secret that I love pasta; I try to make lots of different variations of pasta every chance I get. I initially started by making Indian style macaroni, then ended up using tandoori masala and let me tell you… it was a game changer!
This ended up being spicy and tangy. If you don’t like spice, I would add less then build it up after tasting it. It is fairly easy and quick, perfect for lunch. Feel free to add more veggies to it if you would like.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 2 cups elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1.5 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp red crushed pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Half of lemon, juiced
- 5-6 sprigs cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions
(I like to cook mine al dente)
- In a pan, heat some oil then add cumin seeds; once the cumin seeds start to splatter, add the asafetida then add onion and garlic immediately.
- Let it cook until the onions are translucent, around 2 minutes. Then add the jalapeños and let that cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, all the remaining spices, and a splash of water.
Let the spices cook for a minute, then add the cooked pasta. Add more olive oil if the pasta seems dry (you can also add a ladle of the pasta water to marry everything together.) Mix everything well.
- Turn off the heat then add lemon juice and chopped cilantro (if using)
- Serve hot!
- You can use any pasta you like or have on hand.
- I use the Swad brand tandoori masala, got it from Patel brothers.
- You can add cheese to this if you like.
- Taste the salt before adding more as the tandoori masala and the pasta water will have salt in them.
- You can use brown rice or red lentil pasta to make this dish healthy and gluten free.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.