Today is Earth day what better way to celebrate than with a Spring Minestrone soup! It’s Filled with TONS of green veggies. It is also pretty freezer & pantry friendly. I love soups so much because they are just so comforting and hearty. This meal comes together in less than 30 minutes. Also it’s a one pot meal so less dishes, I mean that just a big win if you ask me. Serve this with garlic bread, or even just a simple baguette toasted and drizzled with olive oil, and you have got dinner! Check out my notes sections for other variations.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
- You can add more veggies to this some veggies that will work: zucchini, asparagus, broccoli.
- You can also top it with good extra virgin olive oil and parm cheese.
- Add the green beans and peas only once the pasta is done so the veggies won’t lose color.
- I used frozen peas and green beans.
- Fennel is not necessary but I had it and it was going bad so I used it.
- You can use pasta like ditalini, macaroni, and small shells in this. I didn’t have so I used Orecchiette.
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 1/2 cup orecchiette, or any other pasta
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 green Thai chilies, or 1 jalapeño/ serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 fennel, sliced (optional)
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup spinach, fresh or frozen
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 tsp red crushed pepper
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pesto (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed.
- In a saucepan heat olive oil, add chopped onions, garlic, celery, and fennel if using. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then add thai chilies, cook for another minute.
- Add the pasta, vegetable stock, red crushed pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook with covered lid until the pasta is almost cooked (6-7 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, beans, and garbanzo beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes, add spinach and turn off the heat. Mix everything well. The spinach will wilt from the heat of the soup.
- Top it with cilantro, parsley, green onions, and Pesto (if using).
- Squeeze lemon on top and serve hot!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.