The temperatures are really low here, so all I want is comfort food. This mushroom orzotto is just that, it’s so creamy and delicious. I love a good risotto, but it’s much more time consuming so i thought why not make Orzotto!! It’s similar but made with little pasta instead of arborio rice and fuss free. It’s one of those dump and go recipes, made under 30 minutes and in ONE POT!!! Less dishes is alway great. Am I right or am I right?!?
You can definitely make this dish stove top if you don’t have an instant pot. You will just have to monitor it a bit more, check out the notes section for instructions and substitutes. Both my boys loved this dish and ate for 2 days, I would suggest cutting back on the red crush pepper if your kids don’t eat much spice. Mushroom orzotto is one of those dishes that is perfect on a cold night when you want dinner ready in no time and minimal effort. Try it and let me know what you think @zheelicious, I can’t wait to see your creation.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 4-5 servings|
- 1 cup Orzo
- 1 white onion or shallot, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced (mix of baby bella & shiitake)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red crushed pepper
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- Half lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup Half and half (optional)
- 1 tbsp mascarpone cheese (optional)
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Time needed: 25 minutes.
- Turn your Instant pot on Sauté mode for 12 minutes.
- Add butter and olive oil to the hot IP. Once the butter has melted add onions, cook for a minute or two. Add mushrooms, salt & pepper.
- Add thyme and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant. Add orzo, vegetable broth and red crushed pepper.
- Close the IP and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
Do a quick release, add mascarpone cheese and half & half if using.
- Then add peas. Close the lid for a minute or two.
The peas will cook from the steam.
- Add lemon juice and parm cheese, mix well.
- Serve hot & enjoy!!!
- You can omit peas if you don’t like them.
- You can add spinach, kale, whatever other green you want in this.
- To cook this stove top follow the same steps, just remember to keep stirring the orzo so it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cooking the orzo will take about 8-10 minutes on the stove. The process will take a bit longer than if you cooked in an instant pot.
- If you don’t have mascarpone cheese use cream cheese.
- You can use milk instead of half & half.
- I recommend adding fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro on top, it will brighten up the dish. I didn’t have it so didn’t add.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.