Kicking off my Thanksgiving series with good ol’ mac n’ cheese, of course it has a twist to it though. I have had this idea of making this for thanksgiving ever since I made the Tandoori macaroni. I tried it and it came out GOOD on the first try, the recipe gods were on my side Wooohooo! I only mac n’ cheese ONCE a year because its an indulgent recipe with all the goods. It contains LOTS of cheese, butter, and milk. But trust me y’all it is worth the extra 10 minutes at the gym!!
This recipe is approved by my non pasta loving FIL. Actually all the recipes that I’m going to post for the Thanksgiving series is approved by him, so I’m sure your family will enjoy them just as much as mine did. Hope to make your Thanksgiving prep a little easier this year with my recipes. It took real dedication to bring this series to y’all esp with a newborn, so I REALLY hope you guys will like it! Please tag me @zheelicious in your stories or share with me when you make it. Can’t wait to see your creations!
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 30 minutes||Makes: 6 servings|
- 1 box pasta (medium shells)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, shredded
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warm
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices Amul cheese or American cheese
- 1 block habanero cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tsp tandoori masala
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt to taste
- Green onion, Chopped (optional)
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
Set-aside until ready to use.
- In a saucepan heat the butter then add onions and garlic to it.
It will look like you added a lot of butter, but I promise it will soak up when you add the flour.
- Sautè until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant about 3-4 minutes.
Add jalapeño and bell pepper to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour and keep mixing until the flour is light brown and fragrant.
This should take about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk (make sure the milk is warm) to the pan, whisking constantly to make a Béchamel sauce.
- Once the sauce is thick add cheese to it slowly and whisking constantly.
It will become nice and cheese.
- Add all the spices, red chili powder, tandoori masala and oregano.
- Add the pasta and mix well.
- Top with green onions, if using. Serve hot and enjoy!
- I would cook the pasta a little under because it will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Taste the sauce before adding salt as the cheese will have salt in it.
- You can broil the mac n’ cheese as well to get a little crunch on top.
- I used Swad brand tandoori masala.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
One thought on “Stovetop Tandoori Mac n’ Cheese”