Do you have a lot of leftover spinach and don’t know what to do with it?! Make these easy no fuss Spinach Patra. Spinach patra is the simplest way to have patra in under 20 minutes!! Spinach patra is perfect for breakfast, quick lunch, snack or even a light dinner. I think it pairs perfectly with Ginger spiced latte, rose chai latte, or some chai.
You can make the patra part ahead of time and do the vagar right before serving it. I like to have this in the morning as breakfast or for lunch. It is also very kid friendly, make sure to adjust the spice level according to your kids taste. Also try my spinach dhokla recipe, it’s always a hit with the kids and adults!
This is my mom’s go to recipe for when we crave patra. Patra takes a long time to make so this is sort of a short cut way of making it but without compromising the taste of it. It’s a no fuss recipe that will bring you back so many memories from your childhood. Head over to my Instagram where I’m showing you how to make these step by step! If you make this don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious, I would love to see your creations.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 2 Thalis|
- 1 cup gram flour (chana lot/ besan)
- 1 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic & chili paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Jaggery or sugar
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp eno or baking soda
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ½ cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped (or 1 jalapeno)
- 2-3 curry leaves (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Lemon wedge (optional)
- In a bowl add gram flour, ajwain, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sesame seeds, lemon juice, jaggery, salt, and slowly add water while mixing. Mix everything well.
- Add eno or baking soda, mix well. Then add chopped cilantro and mix.
- Grease the plate you are making the patra in.
- Dip your spinach into the batter and put the spinach (coated in batter), on the plate. Steam for 12-15 minutes. Once it’s done, cool and cute into diamond or square shapes. Repeat this step for the second thali.
- For the Vagar/ tempering: in a pan heat oil, once the oil is hot add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once it starts to splatter add in asafetida.
- Add sesame seeds, curry leaves, garlic,and green chilies. Cook until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add your cut patra and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and squeeze of lemon. Enjoy with hot chai or coffee!
- I used my dhokla maker to make this.
- You can use a pan that is deep and wide enough to fit a thali.
- I have not tried this in a instant pot but you can.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.