On Mondays we always make a full Gujju meal (DBSR). Last week we made shrikhand, puri, 3 shaaks, khanvidi, and masala bhaat. I obviously had to photograph the thali, because I have a thing for thalis!!! Whenever I go to India I have to go eat a Gujju thali at least once, it just gives me all the feels. I only have recipes for the two shaaks, but I’ll work my way around the thali eventually. But for now enjoy the two shaaks!! The khandvi recipe is already on the blog, it’s super easy and quick!! Trust me you will love it
Here is everything that is on the thali: Shuki bhaji, dudhi tamata, parwar, khandvi, masala bhaat, papad, ilaichi (cardamom) shrikhand, puri, and athanu! I hope this gives you all the feels as it does to me!!
Stay happy, stay hungry!
Shuki Baji ( Bataka shaak):
- 2 potatoes, boiled and chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 Thai chilies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp cashew (optional)
- 1 tsp raisins (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot add cumin seeds. Once they start to splatter add thai chillies, turmeric powder, cashew, raisins, salt, and sesame seeds.
- Add the potatoes and mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Top it with cilantro and serve hot!
- 2 cups dudhi/ lauki (bottle gourd), peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 potato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ mustard seed (rai)
- ¼ asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (dhana jeeru)
- 1 tsp sabzi masala (Badshah brand)
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
- Cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil, once hot add mustard seeds. Once the mustards seeds start to splatter add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent, then add potatoes and doodhi/lauki.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin coriander powder,jaggery, and salt. Add 1 cup of water, cover the lid and cook until the potatoes and dudhi are fork tender. Add more water as needed, stir occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and sabzi masala, mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with hot rotis, puris, or bhakri!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.