Happy New Year!!! Starting it off on the right foot by sharing this much awaited Dabeli recipe. Dabeli is a famous street food in India. It is made with different chutneys and potato stuffing, then grilled and dipped in fine sev. There is a famous dabeli place in Ahmedabad called Karnavati, but y’all my moms dabeli is better than that. I KNOW! Trust me on it. This recipe is so easy and ready under half n hour.
A few important things/ chutney hacks:
- My mom used dabeli masala bought from a local lahri in India, you can easily find dabeli masala at any Indian grocery stores.
- If you can find masala peanuts- roast them in the microwave and add red chili powder, cumin coriander powder, dabeli masala, salt , and a pinch of sugar.
- Quick sweet chutney- apple sauce, thin it out with water, add red chili powder, cumin coriander powder, and salt.
- You can sub sriracha for garlic chutney.
- Garlic chutney- tetcha chutney or lansanyu marchu and thin it out with water
- Green chutney recipe.
Now that you are all set, I hope you all enjoy this as much as we do! Don’t forget to tag me @Zheelicious when you make this. Would love to share this with my mom, she will be so happy! 🙂
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 5 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 12 dabelis|
- 12 buns
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 1½ tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder or lemon juice or tamarind pulp
- ⅓ cup jaggery
- ½ tsp cumin coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tsp dabeli masala
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ cup masala peanuts
- Green chutney to taste
- Tamarind sweet chutney to taste
- Garlic chutney to taste
- Pomegranate arils
- Fine sev
- Mash the boiled potatoes, set it aside until ready to use.
- In a pan or skillet add some oil, once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once they start to splatter add asafetida.
- Add ¼ cup of water then add red chili powder, cumin coriander powder, turmeric powder, sesame seeds, salt, dabeli masala, ginger, tamarind pulp (or whatever you are using), jaggery, and add the mashed potatoes. Mix everything really well. Cook for about two minutes.
- In a tray spread the dabeli mixture. Top it with shredded coconut, masala peanuts, chilantro, chopped onion, and pomegranate arils.
- On the bun spread all three chutneys as desired then top it with the dabeli mixture.
- Heat it on the stove on both sides (this step is completely optional)
- Dip it in fine sev and serve hot!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.