The weather in New Jersey has been so dreary and rainy. When it rains or its gloomy I instantly start craving something fried & chai or a warm drink! So sharing my methi na gota that my MIL made over the weekend. She is the brave soul that fries in our house, I’m such a wuss when it comes to deep frying. She uses her hands to put the gota in the oil like a champ!! You bet your behind I stay 5 feet away from there lol.
Okay here is the real reason why I’m mortified of frying. My mom got burned really bad when I was in highschool. She was making fulvadi, and the “jaaro” broke and her hand went straight into the piping hot oil. She got a third degree burn, thankfully it she didn’t need major surgery or it didn’t leave a scar. She couldn’t go to work or do anything for about a month. So yeah… I’m absolutely traumatized after that, even more than before. Okay I hope i didn’t scare the shit out of to fry lol and hope you all will still make this! Because it’s just perfect for a rainy afternoon. I wish this could be made in an air fryer but the batter is too loose for that. Maybe someday when I’m feeling bold I shall play around with this and make it happen, but until then enjoy these deep fried babies!
Make sure to tag me @zheelicious when you make this. 🙂
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 10 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- Oil to fry the gota
- 1tbs hot oil
- 3 cups methi (fenugreek leaves), washed and cut
- 3-4 thai chilies, chopped
- 3-4 medium green chilies, chopped
- 2 ½ cup Chana/ Gram flour
- 1 tsp ajwain (ajmo/ caraway seeds)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Eno or baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 3-4 Black peppercorn (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- In a large bowl mix all the other ingredients.
- Add water to it slowly, while stirring vigorously.
- Add Eno or baking soda and 1 tbsp of hot oil, stir it vigorously.
- Deep fry until the gotas are golden brown.
- Enjoy hot!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.