It is here! My most awaited recipe – the instant pot Papdi no Lot. I bet every Gujarati person has memories of making papdi in the summer with their parents. Even though I hated waking up early and doing all of that work, they turned out to be some of my fondest childhood memories!
There are so many different names for this dish – papdi no lot, kichu, and kichya. My family at home calls it khichu, but my husband’s family calls it papdi no lot… I guess the name just depends on which part of Gujarat you are from.
So this is a super easy version of Papdi no Lot… I blend everything in the end for it to be lump free… but you don’t have to do this step if you don’t have lumps after stirring. Also you can add a handful of chopped cilantro in this (I didn’t have any so I didn’t). Hope you all enjoy this classic dish!
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 25 minutes||Total time: 30 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 2 1/3 cups rice flour
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ajmo (caraway seeds)
- 1tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp pappad kharo
- 1 ½ tbsp green chilies (crushed)
- Salt to taste
- Turn your IP to sauté mode for 5 minutes.
Add water, cumin seeds, ajmo, sesame seeds, cumin powder, green chilies, and salt. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes (the water should be boiling by this time)
- Open the IP carefully, add the papad kharo and put the IP on sauté mode for 3 minutes.
Then add the rice flour and with a rolling pin, poke about 4-5 holes in the flour so the water can seep in. Let the mixture boil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Close the lid and set the cooker to steam for 10 minutes.
Quickly release and stir constantly and vigorously until there are no lumps. If the lumps are still there blend it with a hand blender.
- Serve hot with peanut oil and Methi masala.
- Add more water if you want yours to be loose (instead of 4 ½ cups do 5-51/2 cups of water)
- Add more or less chilies according as desired.
- I highly recommend adding the cilantro while you are stirring. It give it’s a really amazing bright green color.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
One thought on “Instant Pot Papdi no Lot / Khichu”
Wow great recipe . Will definitely try