Mexican pot pie is a perfect dish to serve for Thanksgiving this year. The spicy luscious sauce/ filling will make you want to swim in it. All the bold mexican flavors packed in a bowl topped with a pie crust! I mean who wouldn’t be down for that. Serve individually or make it in a pie pan either way it will be a crowd pleaser! I use pillsbury brand pie dough. I have listed some suggestions to help you with the recipe below.
- You can make the filling up to 2 days before.
- You can top it off with the pillsbury biscuit or cresent dough instead of the pie.
- Serve it with hot sauce and sour cream.
- You can also make a simple pico de gayo to add something fresh on top of the dish.
- Add cooked rice to the mixture and cut down the beans to 1 can, to make it a whole meal.
- You can make this in a pie pan as well, coating both bottom and top with the pie crust.
Don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious! I would love to see your creation if you make me part of your Thanksgiving table! 🤗💕
Stay happy, Stay hungry!
- 1 box pillsbury pie dough
- 2 can black beans, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup milk, warm
- 1 cup mexican blend cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup corn (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees.
- In a pan heat butter, add cumin seeds to it, then add onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add jalapeno and bell peppers, cook for another 2 minutes. Then add zucchini for a minute.
- Add flour to it and cook until the flour is light brown and fragrant. (2-3 minutes)
- Slowly add milk, mixing constantly. Cook until mixture is a little thick and create a sauce.
- Add all the spices and cheese. Mix well.
- Add the beans and mix well. Turn off the heat. Add cilantro and green onions if using and mix well.
- Cut the pie dough according to the size of your vessel, cut a little extra so it forms a bit of a crust.
- Fill the ramiken with the filling, top it with cheese. Then put the cut pie dough on top.
- Bake the pot pies for about 15 minutes, just until the pie crust as cooked.
- Serve hot!