Gajar halwa cookies, it’s exactly as it sounds. Tastes just like gajar halwa but in a cookie form, I mean…..YUM!!! Did a trial and error on this one, baked them a few times to get the right consistency, had one too many cookies. But it was so worth it. I also shot these photos twice. The first time the icing was missing, my husband saw the photos and he immediately told me that it needs icing. So I had to re-do the shoot. I’m VERY happy with the way it turned out.
Also, I thought it would be a fun idea to include Riaan in this shoot, it was his 3 month photos. I’m mean how friggin cute is he?!? Ugh I just can’t. I promise you Santa will love these cookies! It’s such a fun way to include our culture into Christmas. I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as we did. Wishing you all a VERY MERRY Christmas!
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 24 cookies|
- 1 ¼ cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg or ¼ cup of greek yogurt (if you want to make eggless)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup carrots, grated (2 medium carrots)
- A pinch of saffron
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cardamom powder, baking soda, milk powder, and salt. Set-aside until ready to use.
- In an electric mixer, beat sugar, brown sugar, butter, saffron, and egg until creamy like consistency.
- Fold in carrots & almonds into wet mixture. Then add the dry (flour) mixture to it. Mix well until everything is incorporated and you can’t see the flour.
- You can choose to refrigerate this mixture for an hour and bake or bake right away.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone sheet. Place about 1 tbsp of the cookie dough on the cookie sheet, lay the dough evenly spaced.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for 10-15 minutes on a wire rack before icing.
- In a bowl mix together powdered sugar and milk to make the icing. Put it in a ziplock bag and cut a very small hole.
- Ice the cookies. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes and Serve!!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.