Wet burrito is exactly as it sounds, it’s a burrito covered in enchilada sauce topped with cheese and all the fixins’. This recipe comes from one of my bestie in cali, I just put my own spin on it. Her father-in law makes this with green sauce; the sauce is not available here. I tried it with green sauce but the family didn’t like it, so then I tried it with the red sauce and it was a hit.
This is my go to dinner when I’m in a rut and have veggies I need to use up. The beauty of this dish is that you can add anything you have on hand it in it. I usually add green onions and avocado but didn’t have any this time around so I skipped it. Also top it with sour cream for the extra creaminess. If you have leftovers make quesadillas or enchiladas with it, I almost always hope there are leftovers so I can have it the next day lol. Have fun with this dish and hope it becomes your go to dish as well! Don’t forget to tag me when you make this @zheelicious
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 5 burritos|
- 5 large tortilla wraps
- 1 can Enchilada sauce
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeño, chopped
- ½ head lettuce, sliced
- 2 tbsp of taco seasoning
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup salsa
- Cilantro , for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl mix onions, peppers, and jalapeño together. Set the mixture aside until ready to use.
- In a sauce pan heat some oil, then add 1 tsp of cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds start to splatter add ½ cup of the onions & pepper mixtures. Cook until the onions have softened. Then add the canned enchilada sauce, 1 tbsp of taco seasoning, 1 tsp of red chili powder, and salt (optional). Mix well and let it cook for 5-8 minutes. Turn off the heat and set-aside until ready to use.
- In another pan heat some oil, add cumin seeds, then ½ cup of the onions & peppers mixtures, cook until everything is softened. Then add the ¼ cup of salsa and a splash of water, and then add the black beans, remaining of the taco seasoning, red chili powder, and salt (optional). Cook for 2-4 minutes then turn off the heat.
- In a plate add a ladle full of enchilada sauce. Warm up the tortilla wraps then spread a spoonful of the enchilada sauce all over the wrap, add black beans, handful of onions & pepper mixture, then add cheese. Wrap the tortilla into a burrito; top the burrito with more enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- Microwave the plate for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted (this depends on how strong your microwave is). Top the burrito with lettuce, more onion and peppers, and cilantro if using.
- Serve hot!
- I use Old El Paso brand enchilada sauce.
- I use large wheat wrap tortilla for the burritos.
- You can use many different toppings: green onions, avocado, sour cream, and hot sauce. The options are endless.
- If you have left over make quesadillas or enchiladas the next day.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.