After an indulgent weekend, I always crave for simple home cooked meals. Vagaleri Quinoa Khichdi & Masala chaas does the trick for me! There is nothing more comforting than khichdi, I made it with quinoa because i’m trying to make healthier choices. I paired the khichdi with masala chaas, this is my milk recipe and she always makes a huge batch of the masala and freezes it. I used Dahlicious plain lassi to make the masala chaas but you can definitely use plain yogurt if you can’t find that.
You can make this khichdi with rice instead of quinoa! You can also add more or any other vegetables that you like. I tend to use what I have on hand and need to use up from the fridge. A frozen bag of vegetables also works well in this. There is nothing better than this big bowl of warm khichdi with ghee, some chaas and athanu!! Am I right?! So I hope you guys enjoy this simple home cooked meal this sunday! Don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious if you make it, I can’t wait to see your wonderful creations!!
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 30 minutes||Total time: 35 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, washed
- 1/2 cup Split yellow mung dal, washed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic chili paste
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup tuver
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 whole peppercorn
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Dahlicious plain lassi
- 30 Curry leaves
- 3 inch Yellow turmeric (amba hardar)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1 bird’s eye chili
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Turn your instant pot on saute mode for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee once melted, add cumin seeds, mustard seed. Once they start to splutter add asafetida, cloves, peppercorn, dried red chili.
- Add onion and mix well, after a minute or two add the ginger garlic chili paste, chopped potato, carrots, tuver, and peas.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala, and salt.
Mix everything well.
- Add the dal & quinoa, mix everything well. Add water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
You can do a quick or natural release. (this can also be made in the regular pressure cooker).
- For the Chaas: in a spice grinder or food processor add the curry leaves, 3 inch of yellow turmeric, ½ cup of cilantro, and chili. Blend it all until it’s a paste. In a jar take out your plain lassi and add about 1-2 tbsp of the masala paste, cumin powder, and salt.
Mix and enjoy with the quinoa khichdi
- You can use a pressure cooker if you don’t have an instant pot, water may vary for this option as well as cooking time.
- You can use frozen vegetables instead of fresh.
- You can make a double batch of masala chaas paste and freeze it. It will be good for about 3-4 months.
- If you don’t want to use the lassi, simple use yogurt and add the masala in it.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.