Fennel Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar with cardamom whipped cream; a simple, elegant take on the classic cake. I added fennel seeds to the cake mix and wow it was amazing. The cardamom whipped cream is something you will want to eat with a spoon, don’t tell me I didn’t warn you. This is such a great summer dessert. It’s really easy, almost semi-homemade cake! It brings me back to my childhood!
When we first moved to the States, we lived with my masi. There were 18 of us living under one roof at one point. Anytime there was a birthday or party in the house my cousin would make this cake (minus the fennel and cardamom). It was one of the first cakes I remember having in America. I can literally taste my childhood in this jar! I hope you all like it as much as @zheelicious and let me know what you think.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 5-6 servings|
- 1 white cake box mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Zest of half a lime
- Juice of half a lime
Cardamom Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Mix the cake box mix as directed, add in the cardamom powder and fennel seeds into the cake batter and mix well. Bake the cake as directed on the box and cool.
- In a bowl add in sliced strawberries, sugar, lime zest, and lime juice. Mix everything well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a stand mixer add in heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and cardamom powder. Whisk until it starts to create stiff peaks. (make sure you don’t over whip, else it will fall apart.) Put the whipped cream in a piping bag or ziplock bag for easi
- In a mason jar or any jar add cooled cake at the bottom (doesn’t matter what shape), top it with sliced strawberries, pipe the cardamom whipped cream on top, another layer of cake, strawberries, and whipped cream. Add a couple of slices of strawberries for decor (optional)
- Store in the fridge for an hour or two or enjoy right away!
- You may need more or less strawberries depending on the size of your jars.
- You will have left over cake, you can enjoy it with tea or coffee. You can even frost it with the whipped cream or your choice of frosting and enjoy.
- You can make this cake into a trifle bowl as well.
- Use your favorite brand of cake boxed mix or whatever you have on hand.
- I love using old baby food jars or Oui yogurt jars to make this cake in, it’s the most perfect serving size and looks really cute.
- You can use cool whip if you want to take a short cut. Add in the cardamom in cool whip and mix well.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.