What is lotus root? Lotus root is the edible rhizome (the subterranean stem) of the lotus plant. You can often find this root vegetable in the frozen section of your indian or Asian grocery store. Okay now that we know what Lotus root is.. Let’s talk about Crispy lotus! This is so near and dear to my heart because it was one of the appetizers at my wedding reception. The appetizer that EVERYONE raved about!!! It was our favorite too. It is coated in a sweet and spicy sauce and the lotus root has such a good crunch to it. I promise it will be a HIT in your household.
I airfried the lotus roots, because y’all know your girl can’t fry. OH and your arteries will be happier this way too. This recipe is very semi-homemade but tastes like you spent a long time making it. It will surely be a crowd pleaser while requiring MINIMUM prep. Now that’s my kinda dish people! This would pair really well with Schezwan Garlic Noodles, Chinese Bhel,Schezwan Paneer Momos,Chili Paneer,Black Pepper Tofu CurryRed Thai Curry Pasta. Be sure to read the notes section of the recipe to find out brands of sauces and alternates to ingredients. As always don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious when you make it, I would LOVE to see your awesome creation
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 1 bag frozen lotus root (11 oz. bag)
- 1 tsp oil
- Sweet chili sauce (10.1oz.)
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chili garlic sauce (sambal oelek)
- 2 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 4-5 Green onion, 4 cut diagonally and 1 chopped for topping
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for topping (optional)
Time needed: 25 minutes
- Defrost or thaw the bag of lotus roots.
- Coat the thawed lotus roots in corn starch, salt and pepper
Air fry the coated lotus root for 15 minutes at 360 degrees.
- In a hot wok add oil, once the oil is hot add diagonally cut green onions.
Then add the air fried lotus.
- Add sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
Mix well until all the lotus roots are coated with the sauce.
- Top it with sesame seeds and green onions.
Serve hot & enjoy!!
- I used Trader joe’s brand sweet chili sauce.
- You can use Thai Kitchen brand sweet red chili sauce, should be available at your local grocery store in the international aisle.
- If you don’t have chili garlic sauce you can use sriracha instead.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- I got my frozen lotus root bag from Patel Brothers.
- You can fry these instead of air frying as well.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.