It is OFFICIALLY soup season!!! Broccoli cheddar soup is the ultimate comfort soup. I’m so excited that I have perfected this broccoli cheddar soup recipe, since it is one of my favorite soups. It’s the ultimate comfort soup; it has TONS of broccoli and cheese. That marriage of creamy, cheesy, broccoli is just so darn delicious!
I’m not going to pretend that is healthy lol this is an indulgent recipe! Sometimes we need indulgence in our life, it is what it is. It’s a very quick meal for a weeknight, as it comes together in just under 30 minutes. If you have leftovers you got yourself some lunch. It’s kid friendly and one pot wonder. Here are some recipe that will work well with this Cheesy Schezwan Pull Apart Bread, Basil Cilantro Pesto Masala Crostini,Chickpea Curry Salad Sandwich,Chickpea Quinoa Salad, Baked Brussels Sprout & Butternut Squash | Ginger Maple Tahini Dressing.
Hope you all get to try this one! Don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious, I can’t wait to see your creation.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 30 minutes||Makes: 5 servings|
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (keep in mind that the cheese will have salt in it)
- In a deep pan, heat butter.
Once the butter is melted add onions and saute until the are translucent.
- Add in grated garlic & carrots.
Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the all purpose flour.
Let it cook until the flour is fragrant and golden brown in color.
- slowly add in the vegetable broth to this while whisking constantly to assure there are no lumps.
- Add the broccoli, nutmeg, sriracha, black pepper, and salt.
Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add milk & cheese, mix everything really well.
Let this simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with some bread!
- If you don’t have sriracha, you can use any hot sauce or 1 tsp of paprika or red chili powder.
- Add in heavy cream or half n half if you want this to be thicker and creamer.
- I used whole milk, but you can substitute with 2% or whatever you use.
- You can skip the nutmeg if you don’t have it.
- I buy pre cut bag of broccoli from costco or sams to make my life easier!
- you can freeze this soup, and heat when you are ready to serve.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.