This is my mom’s beet tomato soup recipe that she would make for me when I went to school in Boston. I posted this on my IG stories and you all went wild to get the recipe. Also probs because I wrote beer instead of beets by accident LOL. Regardless this is soooo good and the color is BEAUTIFUL!!! I tried to make this own my own but it didn’t turn out as good as hers, because she didn’t give me half the ingredients over the phone. I had her make it when she came here and measured everything.
You can also make this in the Instant pot, add everything to the IP and pressure cook it for 10-15 minutes on high. It will be perfect for the holidays! You can serve it with croutons and a dash of cream. So yummy!! Hope you all like this! Don’t forget to tag me when you make this @zheelicious
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 6-8 servings|
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small beet, quartered
- 1 carrot, cut in big pieces
- 1 small yam, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ jalapeno
- 2 inches of ginger
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 3 whole cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp ghee or butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery (gor) or sugar (optional)
- Black pepper to taste (1 tbsp is what I put because this is what will give it a kick)
- Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker add 4 tomatoes, beets, yams, carrots, garlic cloves, jalapeno, ginger, spinach, cloves, cinnamon stick, and 2 cups of water. Let this cook for about 3-4 whistles.
- In a Vitamix or a blender blend everything until it’s pureed.
- In a soup pot heat ghee, add cumin seeds and let it get brown. Then add curry leaves.
- Add the soup puree to the pot and add 3 cups of water, cumin powder, black pepper, salt, jaggery or sugar (if using).
- Let it come to boil then turn it off.
- Serve hot!!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.