c aka Dal palak! It is one of those comfort food that hits the spot every damn time. It’s so simple filled with protein, with home-y flavors. Spinach dal shaak served with bhakri or rotli after a week of eating out/ vacation/ etc is just what the soul needs. This is my mil’s recipe and a family favorite. It’s a great recipe to add to your weekly rotation.
Spinach Dal Shaak super kid friendly, I take out a little bit of the shaak before adding spices to it for the kids. You can also add yogurt in it when you serve it to them to bring down the heat. We love to eat Spinach dal shaak with bhakri, but you can serve it with rotli, rice, and sometimes I even eat it alone!! Here is the Lasanyu Marchu recipe if you need. I hope this will become a favorite in your family as well. Tag me @Zheelicious when you make it, I would love to see your creation.
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 20 minutes||Total time: 25 minutes||Makes: 6 servings|
- 1 cup yellow moong dal, soaked for 20-30 minutes
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp lasanyu marchu (you can use 2-3 green thai chilies instead)
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3.5 cups water
Easy, Home-y, Comfort food!
- In pot heat the oil add cumin seeds, once it starts to splutter add asafoetida, then add garlic.
- Once the garlic is aromatic add the soaked dal, add 3.5 cups of water. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat, covered.
- Once the dal is cooked and it is able to break when you press it against your spoon then add lasaniya marchu, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well. Cook for about another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach in and mix well.
- Top it with sliced onions, mix well. Turn off the heat.
(The onions will cook from the steam and heat of the dal.)
- Serve hot with Roti/ bhakri/ rice! And Enjoy!!!
- I use homemade lasanyu marchu.
- You can use 2-3 green thai chilies instead of lasanyu marchu.
- Tone down the spice level to make it kid friendly or according to your taste.
- I use baby spinach in this, I find it wilts the best.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.