It is not news that I love Mediterranean food. So I’m just here continuing my obsession with Mediterranean food with these greek veggie gyros. When we travelled to Greece, we would eat gyros at least twice a day. we tried to find the best gyro’s on each island, it was a quick and filling meal when we were on the go. I always crave the food that we had in Greece, so I decided to bring Greece home and made the gyro’s we had at home. They turned out so good so of course I had to share with y’all.
I find it to be the perfect meal to beat the heat, because it comes together so quick!! Its light yet filling. You can bake or air fry the fries to make it healthier. You can even add veggies instead of fries, see my notes for all the options. Hope you guys enjoy this. Please tag and share your creation with me @zheelicious
Stay happy, stay hungry!
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 10 minutes||Total time: 20 minutes||Makes: 4 servings|
- 4 Pocketless pita
- 2 cups frozen fries
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- a few leaves of lettuce
- feta cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 -1 cup tzatziki
- 2 tbsp lasanyu marchu or thecha chutney (optional), thinned out with water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp paprika or red chili powder
- 1 tsp za’atar seasoning (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trader joe’s Garlic dip (optional)
- Heat some oil to fry the fries in and defrost the fries while the oil is getting hot. Fry the fries (be careful of splattering). Season the fries with 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp parsley, 1 tsp paprika,1 tsp zatar seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a bowl mix tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. Add olive oil, remaining oregano, parsley, dill, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Warm up the pita then spread some garlic dip (if using) then spread the lasanyu marchu or techa chutney, top it with lettuce, add the fries and the salad mixture on top, Drizzle tzatziki and top it with feta cheese.
- I got my pocketless pita from stop and shop, if you can’t find it you can use regular pita.
- I used zesty fries to give some more flavor but you can use fries of your choice.
- Sweet potato fries would work well in this if you want to keep thing healthier.
- You can also bake or air fry the fries.
- If you can’t find lasanyu marchu or techa chutney, you can use sriracha.
- You can thin out the tzatziki with water to make it more spreadable.
- You can add more veggies to this, baked veggies would be really good in this instead of fries.
- Store buy the tzatziki to make it even less work for you.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.